Thursday 2 October 2008

Snett again.....yet again!


That's three visits to the Norfolk Snetterton circuit this season, and lots of riders have complained about it too, including me. I don't mind the place, I could say I even like it, but three times is a bit much. I went to collect points, not take any risks and compromise the next round at the Brands Hatch GP circuit.If you asked me to go there again this season, you would have got a firm answer.

Several miles on the road and it hits me, bugger! I'd forgot my paperwork bag. Entries, tickets, licence, data sheets and the on board camera device, all on my desk at home. And that's after checking my check list at least a half dozen times. A quick call to the club and my licence wasn't a problem. " seen your mug shot enough times this season" . All cool, lots of laughter!

We couldn't have parked up in a more noisy position. I bloody hate generators. The wheeley bin made a welcome noise barrier but there was nothing going to stop the three loudest generators in the paddock that surrounded us.Sleeping with ear plugs in helps but is not ideal. Getting to the circuit late is never a good idea. Securing a good spot is so difficult when you're the last to arrive and just compromises the weekend from the word go. We even lost our usual spot.

I had suffered a case of brain fade during the Saturday morning warm up. After avoiding the damp patches through Corums curve for the past 6 laps, I decided to ride through one of them on the last lap. I know it's not funny but I spent all morning laughing every time I remembered sliding across the track and across the very wet grass on my arse at something like 110 mph. What an idiot! And I got a very wet arse.
I needed to sort my head out before the serious business of racing began.

Meanwhile, there was a smashed bike to fix.

If you read these pages regularly, then you will remember Simon saving the weekend with his mechanics skills at Cadwell earlier in the year. He had come to Snetterton for the weekend to offer his support and try to enjoy the racing..... I kept him busy again.
Also Colin and his wife Niki had come to the track for the weekend, basically because they're addicted and can't stay away! After crashing at Oulton and making a mess of his shoulder, Colin wasn't racing but had offered to help in any way he could. He gets bored easily and he's convinced Niki had payed me to crash to keep him out of her hair.
Dave, being local to the circuit and who I'd met here before, helped Colin and Simon to descend on the bike and begin repairs. I found a Sidecar team that were willing to bend the foot brake lever back through 90 degrees and begged a spare front brake master cylinder and lever from fellow Thunderbiker Andy Burbridge, now back riding after smashing his collar bone at Cadwell. The guys certainly saved the weekend with some improvisation to get the footrest hanger repaired and fitting all the busted parts. Good job we had spare handle bars too.
Well done guys, and thank you.

I had not done much to help except a bit of leg work. If it had been up to me to sort it all out, there would have been no way I would have got out to race that day. All this meant I could concentrate on keeping calm and not wear myself out, conserving energy for the sapping races to come. It makes it obvious how valuable it would be to have a pit crew. Even simple tasks such as tyre pressure checks and tyre warmer changes are energy sapping and when you have guys around to do it, you realise how great it is to not have to do it yourself. Simon enjoyed it a great deal and has agreed to become a permanent part of the team next season. While he loves the spannering, which I struggle with, I can get on with my focus; going as fast as I can on the circuit. I really look forward to working with him!

Myself, Joe and the 400 rider, young Danny Buchan. He's a tallent!

Thunderbikes and the EDIAsia 400cc class were to be mixed as we had been at Oulton Park. I was due to be starting on the second row in I think, 6th place. Because of the noise of those bloody generators, we were really struggling to hear the tannoy announcing each race. We normally get and 1st, 2nd and then a final call to get down to the collecting area. I went to the collecting area late and was sent to the back of the grid, along with getting on for half the Thunderbikes grid. There was apparently only one call.

All tight at the front

I wasn't happy after the race when I had realised what had happened but there's not a lot that can be done once a race has been run.
So the back of the grid was packed with Thunderbikers, all of us, naughty boys for being late. The problem was, were we to be at the back of the whole grid or the Thunderbike grid? Bearing in mind there was supposed to be a row gap between the two classes. It was confusing and dangerous as I wasn't sure what was going to happen when the lights went out. If you remember Oulton when there was a 10 second delay between starts for each class.
I think the whole grid was confused. As the lights went out some of the 400s didn't move until they realised others were. I had to hit the brakes at one point to avoid the confused guy in front. It was a terrible mess up.

One of the better start sequences.

I just had to make the best of a compromised start. There were a lot of bikes out there to get through as both grids started at the same time. It was going to be tough getting to the Thunderbike guys at the front. The race went by in a flash and was so hectic that I really can't remember what happened. I don't have the benefit of on-board camera footage to examine either, as the recorder was sat on my desk at home. I do remember trying to get at Joe Duggan who was in front of a 400 rider. On the last lap I was catching Joe quickly but had to get by the 400. Coming round Corums for the last time behind the 400 I pulled out from behind him in an attempt to get around the out side of him and have a stab at Joe into the chicane. I was so close to the 400 that the track was unsighted and I ran out of tarmac. I ran onto the grass and picked the bike up straight. I ran the grass for a long way and rejoined the start straight managing to hold onto my position in the Thunderbikes order.Out of around 38 riders I managed to get to flag in 11th place but this was 6th in the Thunderbike class. I had to be happy with that. I had got out and scored points against the odds and the result meant a good 3rd row start that afternoon in race 2.

Chasing a recovering Simon Peyto

I usually mention the weather. I guess I'm English for a start, but more relevant is how important it is at a race meeting. If it doesn't rain, it's less work, no wet wheel changes, more comfortable in the paddock and all the riding gear is dry; I hate pulling on wet leathers.
Apparently, the rain had been relentless on Friday practice but today was perfect, no rain at all and that's the way it stayed for the whole weekend. Fantastic.

After all the confusion and commotion of race 1, and that missed call, I had to make sure I was well aware of what races were on track and when I would be due to be called. We normally rely on the tannoy but it is a riders responsibility to be in the collecting area at the right time. I wanted the points this race to help cement a highly possible 5th in the championship. Andy Burbridge was holding the spot at the moment but was suffering with his shoulder and was struggling to finish a race. Before he re-snapped his shoulder at some point over the weekend,and was forced to pull out of the weekend, he managed to brake Gyles' lap record.
I immediately called Gyles to break the news. He then called Andy to abuse him, followed by some congratulations!

Race 2 was a better affair altogether. A good start and some great battling with Joe Duggan on his Ducati and a recovering Simon Peyto, who was still getting up to speed after smashing his hands at Cadwell earlier in the season.

Trying catch Joe and keep Simon Peyto behind. Great fun!

Simon got the better of me on this occasion and I had managed to keep Joe behind. He's getting faster all the time!

Saturday evening was a good evening with good friends and good food, and a drop of wine.
With ear plugs installed, a good nights sleep was in order.

Sunday and a very early rise for me. I think I must have been the first person in the paddock to get up. I enjoyed a coffee and some breakfast with the paddock to myself. It was a beautiful morning with time to get some positive thoughts going through my head ready for the days action.

With a second row grid slot in 6th, next to Joe and Simon, I knew I was in for a good battle. I was not disappointed. It was a great fight with the pair of them. I had made a good start and was up with the leaders but with them charging so hard it was soon obvious they were going to pull away. I kept my head down and swapped places with Joe and Simon several times but managed to gap them both later in the race and enjoy a comfortable cushion from them to the flag. It was classic racing for me and very refreshing from the last meeting here where I had spent most of the weekend just bringing it home with no massive battles for position going on.
I had felt really good in the race with loads of energy and strength. It showed in my lap time and a new personal best of 1:17.342. Nearly a second off the previous meeting. More good solid points too with a 4th place this time. With Andy pulling out. The 5th place in the championship was looking like a real possibility. I just had to keep getting good solid points going into Brands Hatch GP.

Race 2 of the day was equally as good as the first. A carbon copy pretty much. A 4th place finish and again good battling with Joe and Simon with my lap time just a couple of tenths off the mornings time.

I had come away with great points and salvaged a good weekend from possible disaster. Thanks to Dave, Simon and Colin that is!

Meanwhile at the front. Garry Budgen edged closer to the title with 3 wins, while Dan Wright got his first win in the series with two 2nd and a 3rd place, extending the gap to me in the championship. Phil Read scored three 3rds and a 2nd to solidify 3rd in the title.

5th for me is looking good!

Who wins the title goes down to the wire again!
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit is the next and last round of the 2008 season. Round 9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feeling a bit nostalgic today so was looking around for some of my old GLP buds and found this. Glad to see you are doing well and still racing although a bit more in the wind than when I knew you. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Dextuck (Scott) here,
Feeling a bit nostalgic today so was looking around for some of my old GLP buds and found this. Glad to see you are doing well and still racing although a bit more in the wind than when I knew you. Good for you!